2017 GS Giant Gypsy Tours
While motorcycle travel is generally a solo experience, it's always fun to ride with friends. So what better way to start this adventure than to hook up with others heading in the same direction? What's even better, you increase your chance of winning a very cool prize at the event.
Currently, there are FIVE Gypsy Tours planned!
- The Continental Divide Tour - led by Lance Gines
- The "Special Ed" Tour - led by Ed Gourley
- The Badlands Tour - led by Diego Villalpando
- The Colorado BDR Tour - led by Jeff DeWispelaere
- The North Tour, eh? - led by Melyssa Trnavskis
Meeting Location: 6427 W. Randolph Drive, Boise, ID
Departure Date/Time: Saturday, July 8th @ 8am
The meeting spot is at Lance's home. Participants are welcome to camp there Friday evening July 7th and the Gines' will host a barbeque at 7pm.
Departure time is 8am on Saturday morning, July 8th. The route will be a mixture of dirt and paved roads through Idaho and Montana, camping Saturday night on the Continental Divide. You will arrive at the Mountain River Ranch mid-afternoon on Sunday, July 9th.
Meeting Location: 1778 N. Heights Circle, Sheridan, WY 82801
Departure Date/Time: Saturday, July 8th @ 7am
The meeting spot is at Ed's home. Participants are welcome to camp there Friday evening and enjoy a barbeque hosted by Special Ed and his lovely wife, Janie. You are free to camp in the yard or contact Ed for a recommendation on a nice local motel.
Departure time is 7am on Saturday. Ed will lead a mostly paved ride with a stop for lunch. The first day's ride ends in Three Forks, Montana where you will need to pre-book a room or a campsite. (mention that you are with the GS Giants)
Broken Spur Motel
Three Forks, MT
Grab a cuppa Joe and saddle up. Ed plans on departing at 7am on Sunday for a day of paved and dirt roads, arriving at the Mountain River Ranch mid-afternoon.
Meeting Location: Sage Creek Campground, Sage Creek Rim Road, Badlands National Park (primitive camping) or if you're not into camping, there are plenty of local motels in Rapid City to choose from. Meet at the breakfast location on Saturday am.
Departure Date/Time: Saturday, July 8th @ 8:30 am
Set up camp on Friday in time for a "Meet and Greet" from 4-6pm or meet at the dinner location at 6:30 pm. Badlands Saloon & Grille, 509 Main Street, Wall, SD 5779.
Meet for some breakfast at 7am the Colonial House, 2315 Mount Rushmore Road, Rapid city, SD 57701. Departure time is 8:30am. Diego's route will end in Cody, WY on Saturday, July 8th, where you can choose to camp or grab a motel room.
Camping Saturday Night: Buffalo Bill State Park, North Fork Campground
Motel Saturday Nigh: Big Bear Motel, 135 Yellowstone Ave, Cody, WY Big Bear Motel
Join the group for dinner at the Cody Cattle Company, 1910 Demaris Dr. , Cody, WY. Then enjoy a post-dinner sunset ride to the top of Cedar Mountain.
Sunday morning breakfast is at 7am. "Our Place" 148 Yellowstone Ave., Cody. Departing at 9am for the Mountain River Ranch with an estimated arrival of around 4pm.
Meeting Location: La Quinta Inn - Denver Cherry Creek, 1975 South Colorado Blvd , Denver, CO, 80222-7902
Departure Date/Time: Wednesday, July 5th @ 7am after breakfast at Perkin's Restaurant (next to LaQuinta)
This 3-day ride starts early (July 5-7th) and joins up The Special Ed Tour for the rest of the ride to Idaho (July 8-9th). You'll ride over the Northern portion of the Colorado BDR and then on to Sheridan, WY where you will join the "Special Ed" tour for the rest of the route.
- Day One (7/5/2017): You'll be traversing the Colorado BDR from Leadville North after crossing the Continental Divide at Weston Pass. The route should take you into Steamboat Springs by mid afternoon.
- Day Two (7/6/2017): Steamboat to Arminto, Wyoming and over to Beaver Creek Campground (semi primitive with a toilet vault, tent pads and fire rings). The route should have everyone make Arminto by late morning/early afternoon allowing you time to explore the area after camp has been made. MUST bring Food, Water, Libations and your camping gear for this segment as there will NOT be any hotel facilities for many miles.
- Day Three (7/7/2017): Beaver Creek Campsite to Sheridan Wyoming. We'll be touring the back roads of Wyoming to Ten Sleep for lunch (Probably at Ed Gourley's favorite there - Crazy Woman Cafe) and ultimately end up in Sheridan for dinner hosted by Ed Gourley and his wife. See his posting for details about hotel or tenting it on his property.
Meeting Location: Side Trax Diner, Blairmore, Alberta
Departure Date/Time: Friday, July 7th @ Noon. Ideally you can join us beforehand for lunch.
From Blairmore, our destination is scenic Sun Canyon Lodge, with $10/night tent camping and $3 showers. Plenty of room, no reservations required. Note you must camp as cabins are all booked. Lodge has onsite restaurant and bar. Route to the lodge is 389km (241 miles) and includes Butler G1, G2 and G3 roads along the east side of Glacier National Park followed by back roads and gravel to the lodge.
Saturday July 8: 400km (248 miles) of road, dirt and short sections of interstate to arrive at Three Forks, MT where we will join Ed Gourley's "Special Ed" Tour. See Ed's tour for hotel info.